twitter facebook instagram bloglovin tumblr google plus pinterest youtube

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Intelligentsia Coffee Date


I have never been big on coffee. But when a friend and then another friend and then a gift card pointed us to the fancy' fance' coffee shop Intelligentsia - I figured we should make it a date. 


My husband Jeff has become quite the coffee lover so we made our way down to Intelligentsia's west side location on Abbot Kinney in Venice. 

I want to take some time in this post, to comment on the clash of culture I often see and experience in LA. I tend to feel out of place on Abbot Kinney, as my style does not blend with it's high-end bohemian burn-out scene. In my head I group all the restaurants and stores into one category - expensive alternative. Everyone on Abbot Kinney seems to belong to the same club, and I do not have a membership card. Walking down the street towards the shop, I was already feeling nervous about clashing with the hipster-coffee-connoisseur-culture I knew I'd be met with. There is definitely a niche market for coffee snobs in LA and I have not been a part of it. Whenever I go to places like Intelligentsia, I find myself being worried I will "stick out" in the crowd and that everyone will clearly know I am not a regular there. 

I don't know why this bothers me but something about Intelligentsia was different. 

Vertical gardens and wooden benches line the entrance to the shop. You already feel like you are a world away from the brick-clad village strip. 






We were greeted with a small line and a menu, and made our selections just in time to be called. Jeff was bold and asked the barista what he would suggest for a dark roast. I remember feeling self conscious and unsure of what to order to appear "in the know" of coffee. I panicked and opted for cocoa. 




We found seats in the back of the cafe with the perfect view of the people shop below. Jeff had ordered the Tres Santos (now a favorite) and myself a seasonal hot chocolate. We sipped on our drinks and analyzed the scene before us.

There were people of all ages drinking, talking, sitting, and reading. There was no apparent "type" of person in the cafe at all. It occurred to me that maybe I was only noticing one type of person in the past and not really opening my eyes to the diversity that actually existed in this area of town. Jeff and I talked about how silly it was to think we wouldn't fit in here. I remember that time as so relaxing and cozy, even in the open air metal clad cafe. Jeff is now hooked on their coffee despite the pretty price.  He (and everyone else) claim it's the best. 










I think it's safe to say that Jeff and I have been back to the shop over a dozen times since our first date there. Our friend Caleb now works at "Intelli"  and Jeff has found it a haven to work on sermons and research new jobs. I love it because we know people there now, and it feels like our spot. It is familiar and safe, a regular part of our routine and it's just down the road. I would also like to give props to their beverages because they may serve the best hot chocolates in LA. Of course more research needs to be done to be sure...

If like me, you are afraid of the seemingly exclusive cafes in the city - just try one. You might surprise yourself. I realized I was judging a place that was not judging me. Now that I am on the other side I can safely say - I fit right in at Intelligentsia and I don't even drink the coffee. 


xoxo
~ A ~

1 comment:

  1. Ali "Drury", you fit in any place any time because of your style and grace. Silly girl. Love you.....

    ReplyDelete