twitter facebook instagram bloglovin tumblr google plus pinterest youtube

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

My Favorite Ice Cream ~ Salt & Straw


I love desserts. I consider myself a connoisseur of the delectable and an obsessor over the sweet. I am fortunate because LA has so many incredible dessert spots and it's own collection of uppity and unique ice cream shops. 

When my best friend Sarah flew into LA for the weekend, she suggested we check out the westside's latest cool house addition Salt & Straw.

Best. Decision. Ever.


It's safe to say I have been back to Salt & Straw about 5 times since this first trip, both in Venice and at their location on Larchmont Blvd. (Whose opening I somehow missed last year). 

Let me tell you why Salt & Straw is my favorite ice-cream shop in LA. 

When you walk into the corner store, you meet the perfect scent combination of waffle cones and sugar. The sweet smell actually seeps out onto the street. This explains the line of people that forms down the block when the shop gets busy on the weekends. 

The decor is reminiscent of a turn of the century chocolate shop, clad with stained glass windows and wooden trimmings. The menus are displayed on giant framed chalk boards and the specials are showcased front and center. There are all kinds of gifts for purchase, including chocolate and candy selections from local confectionaries. 







The staff is INCREDIBLY friendly (many hail from Salt and Straw's original Portland location) and are ready to advise on their favorite flavors. There is one scooper designated per group and he or she will literally let you sample as many flavors as you like. I suggest doing this because the combinations are so distinctive. You might surprise yourself by trying something off the beaten path. The makers of Salt & Straw have extraordinary ideas when it comes to combining texture with taste. 


Sarah and I chatted with our scooper, deliberated for a while, sampled a few items, and then decided to go with our guts. I chose a split scoop sugar cone* of Coconut Marionberry & Pecan Shortbread with Honey Lavender (a Salt&  Straw classic). Sarah shared the same classic with the Roasted Strawberry and Toasted White Chocolate.







The 5$ scoop will definitely fill you up. And trust me the 50 cent split is worth it to sample multiple flavors per serving. You can also purchase pints for 10$! So. Very. Tempting.



I have made it a habit of ordering the flavor that piques my interest most and splitting it with my scooper's favorite choice. Not one has steered me wrong.



If you are near Abbot Kinney or Larchmont Blvd. - go to Salt & Straw, try a bunch of flavors and walk away happy. It is LA's best mood booster. 

xoxo
~ A ~

*Finally, a place that doesn't charge extra for cones. 

1 comment: